What is FileDirector?
FileDirector is the future for the administration, and distribution of information, because it decreases considerably the time taken to manage and access all of the information within an organisation, allowing you to become more efficient and productive, whilst reducing costs. The definitive in Enterprise Document Management.
What is FileDirector?
- A virtual filing system for all of your documents – departmental or company wide
- A workflow and approval solution that is easy and fast to set up
- A paper-less office enabler – scan, classify, index and shred
- A document management system with compliance and security built-in
- An intelligent scanning system – OCR and Barcodes can speed up capture
- Network software for documents for a department or whole company
- Easy to use, fast to deploy, robust and reliable
- Infinitely customisable and easy to integrate
Security in any document management solution is vital, therefore FileDirector lets you have complete control over document access, activity auditing, revision control, retention control, and automatic storage of documents and emails.
Capturing information is easy in FileDirector. With support for thousands of scanning and digital input devices, and with predefined Scan Profiles, scanning has never been simpler. FileDirector’s Microsoft Office Integration takes just a click of the mouse to capture documents, spreadsheets and emails.
Who uses FileDirector?
- Accounts, Finance and Legal
- Multi-site pub groups
- Multi-site care home providers
- Construction and Electrical
- Solicitors and Accountants
- Distributors and Manufacturers
- Those needing faster approvals
Classifying documents can be done manually, or taken from the documents themselves by zoned OCR, full text OCR or barcode reading. Index data can be imported from other databases or files, or values can be automatically applied when importing or capturing documents.
- Built-in control of ISIS & Twain scanners
- Windows client or web browser access
- Integration with the windows desktop & MS office apps
- Audit train, version control, and document control, and document history
- “print” documents in from any application like sage
- Create custom document exception reports
Retrieving documents is a simple task. Type in what you are looking for into the index fields and you’ll get a list of documents back, which you can then view. Or use the full text search option to find documents that contain the word or phrase you want to look for. Viewing documents cannot be more straightforward. Just double-click on the document record and it will be opened. FileDirector supports over 200 different file formats. You can easily page through, view thumbnails of it, and look at any previous versions of it, if it has been revised. You can also open and look at several documents at once.
- Centralise important business information
- Secure your documents and share only with approved users
- Capture information from scanned documents
- Create custom approval workflows
- Make documents accessible to customers
- Easy storage
- Automatic audit trail
- Time savings
- Accessibility and security
- improved customer service
Process management allows you to send documents to users via a set of predefined steps, where each user or users must perform specific tasks, such as commenting or approving a document. An ideal tool for applications such as invoice processing.
FileDirector supports up to 128 servers working in unison and can cater for thousands of users, whether in the same office, town, country, or spread worldwide. It’s unlikely you will outgrow FileDirector. Storage is not a problem with Filedirector. Working with Microsoft SQL or Oracle, it supports multiple document storage schemas, and can easily handle millions of records and documents.
Capture all of your documents:
Paper or electronic, we have the solution:
- Built-in scanning client – capturing information in FileDirector is easy, with support for thousands of scanning and digital input devices, and with predefined scan profiles, scanning has never been easier.
- Multifunctional device integration
- Microsoft office integration – Takes just a click of a mouse to capture documents, spreadsheets and email. Indexing documents can be done manually or taken from the documents themselves by zoned/full text OCR.
- Windows explorer integration – Electronic documents can be saved to FileDirector in a number of ways. By right-clicking a document, select ‘send to’, select FileDirector, an index form window will then be displayed.
- Virtual printer – FileDirector ImagePrinter is a windows printer’s driver allowing printing from any Windows application to FileDirector. The driver converts documents either into TIFF or JPEG files depending on the content of the printed file.
- Automated email capture – The mailstore option automatically processes emails sent and received via SMTP. Can be stored and indexed by subject line, recipient or sender, wide-ranging criteria can be specified for each category.
Improve process efficiency:
- Automatic classification – scanning profiles can be used for automated document recognition via (OCR). This can be done whether you’re scanning hard copy documents or using a scheduler. Once document type is identified, index data can be extracted and tagged against document.
- Document versioning – supports the concept of checking documents in and out for making edits. This allows only one person to work on a document at a time and prevent other team members from overwriting each other’s changes.
- Full text searching – Retrieving documents is a simple task, type in what you are looking for into the index fields, and you’ll get a list of documents back. Or use the full text search option, to find documents that contain the world or phrase you’re looking for.
- Audit history
- Granular security – FileDirector works with Windows user accounts, so there is no need to maintain a separate user database. What a user can see and do in FileDirector is down to the permission they have been granted.
- Automated process management – Process management allows you to send documents to users via a set of predefined steps, each user must perform specific tasks, such as commenting. Ideal tool for applications such as invoice processing.
- Smart phone/tablet access – FileDirector also includes retrieving documents using just a web browser. Supporting over 200 different document formats, very likely to be able to see the document without having the application that created it installed on device.
Integration and management:
- Codeless integration module – Allows you to easily ‘document enable’ third-party applications, by creating links between data fields in FileDirector and the other applications. Once done, on the other application you can search, edit index data in FileDirector.
- Open APO for development
- SDK (software development Kit) – If you develop your own applications, then the FileDirector SDK will allow you to fully integrate. Create new documents, update them, retrieve them, manage security and more!
- Records management functionality
- AD & LDAP sync
- Web Integration – integrate FileDirector browser retrieval functionality into your intranet. This is an easy task with the FileDirector web retrieval engine which is fully customisable, and can be set to require, or not require security credentials from users.
- Support for MS SQL or Oracle
- Server replication & encryption modules
Cabinets, Document types & Index fields:
- Cabinets – quite simply, a cabinet is the overall container where your information is stored. Typically a company will have one cabinet and everything will be stored in here, but in certain cases it may be suitable to create more than one cabinet to improve security. Departments can self-manage a cabinet without affecting anyone else.
- Document Types – within the cabinet you have document types such as invoices, sales orders, statements. For each document type you can specify security rights, so for example only users in HR can be allowed access to the HR records.
- Index Fields – within the document types you can specify whatever index fields you need. If you have a document type for purchase invoices you might specify Date, Invoice Number, and Order Number. Net, VAT and Gross. For statements you might only need supplier and date.
Working in accounts department:
If you work in the accounts department and you are forever having to look up invoices, FileDirector will save you huge amounts of time. Perhaps everything you do relates to your company order number. Keying this into FileDirector in the search box will bring back everything against that number within seconds. This works well for any simple document, such as:
- Delivery/Despatch Notes
- Application Forms
Scanning and Capture:
FileDirector has the most flexible and comprehensive document capture features available. Paper and electronic documents, whatever their format or source, are easily captured to FileDirector and you can even add your own capture facilities to third-party applications.
FileDirector has scanning capabilities included within the standard Client software, so there is no need to run one application for capturing and another for retrieving documents. To make the scanning process easy, Scan Profiles can be created. They hold the settings for the capture device and can also be configured to store documents under specific document types and categories. Not only can you scan new documents but you can also insert, append or revise pages within existing documents. Whilst scanning, you can also configure FileDirector to perform zone and forms recognition to read metadata automatically from the documents. You can use a vast range of scanning and input devices with FileDirector’s support of TWAIN and ISIS.
Storing information from desktop applications is a simple process with FileDirector’s integration of Microsoft Office applications and with Windows Explorer. Just choose to send the document to File Director and you can then index the document, or have FileDirector take information automatically, such as the file name and date. When saving emails from Outlook, these can be indexed automatically using email such as ‘To’, ’From’, ‘Subject’ and even the email body.
FileDirector has several server and client-based features that allow you to import virtually any information. From the Client, documents can be imported from any location using Scan Profiles. This is very useful when a shared scanning device, such as a digital multifunction copier, is being used which stores documents to a specific location. The Client can also be used to import documents, together with their associated metadata information, which would be held in a separate data file. The documents are saved in their native format. There are many server based import features available that can import files, files and metadata or just the metadata. Additionally, spool data in text, import XML format, extract the metadata and overlay the data onto an image or XML template.
Please contact us on 01785 785 655 to get more information or a quote on FileDirector.